Director General Roads, Places and Environment Group
Department for Transport (Confirmed)
Tricia first joined DfT in 1987. Her civil service career has focused largely on transport policy, with roles covering almost all modes of transport; including rail, road, aviation and sustainable travel issues.
From 2013 to 2016 Tricia was the UK’s Director of Aviation, responsible for all aspects of domestic and international aviation policy, including aviation security.
Tricia’s earlier roles included a 3 year loan to the FCO to run the transport desk at the British Embassy in Washington DC. She has also held posts in ministerial private offices, and spent 2 years at Defra working with Jonathon Porritt setting up the multi-sectoral Sustainable Development Commission.
Tricia is the Head of the Policy Profession within the Department for Transport, chairs the DfT Board sub-committee on Strategy, and is the Board level Champion for Race and Faith.
Tricia is originally from Northern Ireland, and is married with 3 children. She is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation.
Director General for Roads, Devolution and Motoring Group
To contribute to the collective leadership of DfT as a Board and Executive Committee member and lead the Roads, Devolution and Motoring Group. The main areas of responsibility are:
• ensuring the department’s resources and plans align with our business plan
• development of policy in relation to roads, traffic, road safety, sustainable travel, bus travel and logistics
• managing the department’s relationship with local government and its contribution to the localism agenda
• managing the government funding of, and relationship with, Transport for London
• sponsorship of DfT’s motoring agencies